Monday 16 June 2014

Rooney: I don’t expect to start for England

The Manchester United striker says he works hard to try and get into Roy Hodgson's starting line-up and that he will always respect his manager's team selection

Wayne Rooney insists he does not takes his place in the England team for granted and has never expected to start every match for the Three Lions.

The Manchester United man has yet to score a World Cup goal and was forced to play wide on the left against Italy, with Raheem Sterling preferred in the No.10 role.

There have been calls for Roy Hodgson to drop Rooney for England’s next clash against Uruguay on Thursday and the striker admits he is not certain of his place in the side.

“I’ve never felt that. I don’t know why you said that. Why would I feel my place in the team is guaranteed?” he told reporters.

“I work hard to try and get into that team. I have never said my place is guaranteed. I don’t expect to play, I work hard. I want to play.

“We have got a lot of good, young players so we will all work hard, all give the manager different options, different choices and whoever he picks, then I am sure we will all respect that.”

Rooney also insisted he was back to full fitness after recovering from a groin problem and said the heat in Brazil had not affected him.

“I know I have run a lot in games and I have no problem doing that. I felt no problems at all,” he added.

“To be honest, I can only speak on behalf of myself, I felt absolutely fine. The weather was not an issue, so that’s down to the manager [selection on Thursday].

“Obviously he will see over the next couple of days how the lads are and how they recover and will make his decision from there.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment