Friday 4 July 2014

'Serie A is not a step backwards' - Vidic defends Inter switch

'Serie A is not a step backwards' - Vidic defends Inter switch
Nemanja Vidic has dismissed suggestions his move to Italy is a step backwards in his career after being unveiled as an Inter player on Friday.

The 32-year-old signed for the Nerazzurri on a three-year deal after his contract at Manchester United expired in June, bringing his eight-year stay in England to an end.

Vidic is optimistic about his future in a new league and remains convinced that his decision to leave Old Trafford was the correct one.



“I nearly came to Italy 12 years ago. Some people may think it is a step backwards but I think Italian football is suited to my way of playing and I think I am going to one of the biggest clubs in the world,” said Vidic, speaking at a press conference.

“I was sure it is the right moment for me to change something in my career. Italy has a different kind of football but I will not say that it is easier and hopefully I can adapt well to it."

The Serbian defender went on to explain how the timing of his move to the club was similar to his arrival at United in 2006, when Manchester United had gone three seasons without a trophy.

He added: “The club is going through a transition at the moment and is not in the position it wants to be, but it is going forward and I can say I am happy with the project of the club.

“When I joined Spartak Moscow and Manchester United they were both new projects and I hope I can have the same success here.”

Vidic also dismissed suggestions that Inter coach Walter Mazzari’s preferred three-man defence would be a difficult transition.

“I watched a few Inter games last year and saw the talented players here. Three-at-the-back is a new system to me but defending is defending whatever numbers you have. I will do my best to adapt.

“I don’t think it matters where players are from but there are a few players from Slavic nations here and it will only make it easier to adapt.”

No comments:

Post a Comment