Saturday 28 June 2014

Robben: Netherlands are not dependent on me

Robben: Netherlands are not dependent on me
Netherlands international Arjen Robben has insisted that he is not the only player who could make the difference for Louis van Gaal's men, ahead of their round of 16 encounter with Mexico on Sunday.

The 30-year-old has been a key figure in his country's impressive World Cup campaign so far, scoring three goals and setting up one more, but he has warned that their opponents cannot afford to solely focus on him.



"I don't have the feeling that the team is dependent on me. Yes, our opponents are giving me less space than before," the Bayern star was quoted as saying by NUsport.

"But it's perfectly fine for me if Mexico are going to focus solely on me. That gives other players the room to shine."

His fine form in Brazil has won him plenty of praise in the past two weeks, yet Robben feels he's not on top of his game just yet.

"Am I in the form of my life? I wouldn't put it like that. I've gone through even better spells in the past few years.

"That's not to say that things aren't going well, however. Don't get me wrong. Perhaps my good run of form gets noticed more now because I have been fully match fit for a longer period. I have the pace and power and my actions are going well.

"I enjoyed a good season at Bayern as well, so I am not really surprised. It's a nice feeling, though, to be able to leave opponents behind just like that. I'm in fine shape physically."

No comments:

Post a Comment